About the Image
- NASA/JPL-Caltech/T. Pyle (SSC/Caltech)
About the Object
- Star > Evolutionary Stage > Black Hole
- Star > Circumstellar Material > Disk > Accretion
- Galaxy > Activity > AGN > Quasar
- Galaxy > Component > Center/Core
Buckyballs in Space
NASAs Spitzer Space Telescope has detected buckyballs - intriguing, miniature-soccer-ball-shaped molecules - in interstellar space for the first time. With these new results, the buckyball claims the record for the largest molecule ever discovered floating between the stars. This artists conception shows buckyballs floating in interstellar space, near a region of current star-formation.
Feature Article Spitzer Goes Buck Wild and Finds Buckyballs Floating Between the Stars feature10-18
Image Buckyballs in Space sig10-022
Swarm of Comets
A Giant Gathering of Galaxies
What Feeds the Beast in a Galaxy Cluster?
What Feeds the Beast in a Galaxy Cluster? (annotated)
Twelve Years of Spitzer Images